Your own thoughts will hold you back from achieving your dreams, starting that business or reaching for what you want. They will stop you in your tracks so fast you won’t know what hit you. Fear will set in and any thoughts of action will be gone.
Fear is a product of your mind – causing worry and doubt inside of you. Fear masquerades as resistance. Fear provides perceived self protection benefits whereby you avoid disappointment, potential hardships and unpredictability. Fear also takes away peace, joy, connection and our mental health. It helps us to control ourselves and others and sometimes we overreact – we think it’s the safer alternative because it helps you to prepare for negative situations ahead. It is said that 91% of worries never come to fruition! What are we doing to ourselves by being anxious and worrying about fear?
False Evidence Appearing Real!
Fear shows up as: self doubt, procrastination, distraction, getting stuck in the details, irrational thoughts like I’m not smart enough to do this or I’ll lose all my money, what have I done? Or friends and family who will talk you out of your dream or dump all their negative beliefs on you and squash your dreams. Remember this is their opinions and not yours.
Change is inevitable. Change can be uncomfortable and as humans our ego wants to keep us safe and it’s why we are afraid of change.
But if we are trying anything new —it’s going to be outside our comfort zone where fear lives.
Here are some ideas of how to overcome the fear of change:
- Commit to feeling good – I’ve shared this before, gratitude is one of our most powerful emotions to feel and when you are feeling grateful there is no room for those dark emotions.
- Put on the costume – Act as if you are unafraid. Embody and exude the qualities and characteristics of the person you want to become.
- Chunk down the goals – make your goals smaller milestones that you can work towards instead of one big goal that feels overwhelming. Just choose the next step and the next step and the next step. Soon you will have achieved way more than you thought you could!
- Stare fear in the face! It’s false evidence after all! Once you confront your fear you feel good about yourself, it makes you happy and more comfortable to courageously move through another fear barrier.
- Let go of the results – decide you’re moving ahead no matter what, if you win – fantastic, if you don’t, you’ll inevitably learn something from your efforts and try again.
- Imagine the best outcome – visualize yourself completing or overcoming what you are fearful of. Create a vivid image in your mind of you having succeeded and beaten that fear. Hold this image in your mind and repeat it over and over. The brain can’t tell the difference between what is real or imagined – so imagine the best for yourself! It is also the BEST way to focus on what you want and not on what you don’t want.
You can live a life of peace and free of fear.
Let your dreams lead you. Keep moving forward and focus on your goals. It is your responsibility to live your life with passion and purpose. This ain’t no dress rehearsal.
Don’t allow fear to control you or make you unhappy for another day! When you push yourself and do the things you thought you could not do, you grow yourself and your life. To Change is going to happen whether we like it or not. Wouldn’t it be better to feel equipped to handle these changes? To lean into them as opposed to resisting? What we resist persists.
Nothing in the world stays the same, why would we?
You are powerful beyond measure and way more resilient than you give yourself credit for. So take action today on something that feels unfamiliar. As soon as you take action towards that unfamiliar thing the brain recognizes it as familiar and is no longer afraid of it – that’s how you work through your fears.
Remember this, I believe in you. I can’t wait to see all that you accomplish.